Sunday, August 12, 2012
Hasta Luego, Peru.
The past week has really seemed to really drag, and It hasn't really felt real that were are about to head back to Arizona. A couple nights ago, I had a "get me out of here moment" Milo woke up screaming, I went in his room and tried to console him, no success. So I set him back down in his bed and went to the kitchen to make him a bottle. I turned on the kitchen light, only to see hundreds (slight exaggeration) of my favorite little roach friends scurrying to find a hiding place, awesome. Then opened the fridge to find an unopened bag of milk and the milk pitcher sitting in the sink, double awesome. Because I am a moron and always spill the milk when I am trying to get it into the pitcher (seriously, why can't they just sell cartons or jugs of milk around here?) Sure enough: milk everywhere, roaches everywhere, screaming baby, cranky tired mom, the sweet smell of raid, dishes piled in the sink, out of paper towels ... at that moment in time I would have paid an arm and a leg for the next flight out of here and back to my bug free, milk in a jug apartment in Arizona. The following morning, Jordan took Milo to the park and I headed to the grocery store by myself to pick up just enough to get us through the next few days and of course some more milk, because most of ours ended up spilling on the counter and dripping on to the floor. I collected a basket full of items, saw a friend from the park, and actually understood what the cashier was asking me as I checked out. As I was walking home I couldn't help but realize how far I had come since we first arrived and that I was experiencing total 180 from the feeling I had just a few hours before, I will miss it here. We have been so lucky to come here and experience this as a family. There probably won't be another time in our lives where we will be able to just pick up and head to another country to live and if there happens to be another chance, Jordan's work will likely be much more demanding. I have really come to appreciate the simple life we have been able to lead while we have been here. Walking everywhere, taking Milo to the park everyday (usually twice a day), making new friends from all over the world, picking up fresh fruit at the stand on the corner, taking naps with Milo, walking to the bakery for fresh bread each day, learning about a new culture and a little Spanish, and spending quality time with Milo and Jordan ... so as excited as I am to get home and as much as I have had my frustrated moments here in Peru (especially with the language) this is a time in my life and a place that I will definitely cherish.
Labels:
Family,
Peru,
Thunderbird
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
We are as excited as you are that you're coming BACK!! See you soon!
I too have spilled my bag of milk many of times south of the border...it is the most defeated feeling in the world.
Post a Comment