Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Accounting ...really?

Today a co-worker who is currently studying for the CPA exam asked me if I had plans to sit for the CPA exam I laughed.
Nearly a year after my graduation, I often find my self wondering why I picked Accounting to be my major. The majority of my classmates had dreams of becoming CPAs and working for one of the big 4 ... I have heard the description of the lifestyle of a public accountant many times, and each time I cringe. Without trying it, I already know that it's not for me. The entire time I was going through my super hard accounting class I wondered why I didn't go into something more creative, and expressive like graphic or interior design ... but Heavenly Father knows better than all of us, even when it comes to things like which degree to recieve.
In August, I started working as an Internal Auditor. It has been interesting I've hated it. But I am so grateful to have a job and that I can support our family while Jordan is finishing his degree also accounting. So here I am, hating my job and still wondering why I picked accounting ... but this semester I had a breakthrough.
In February, I was working on our personal income taxes and thought I could probably make some extra money doing this. Jordan promised I could spend any extra money I made on whatever I wanted. Not expecting much, I hung about 8 flyers around TVA. Soon a few calls came in. My old accounting teacher heard that I was doing taxes and announced it in his classes, and more calls started coming in. So I hung a few more flyers, made a post on facebook and our blog .... and I had a full on tax business going still do!
I know it's werid, but have really enjoyed learning about taxes and helping people who know NOTHING about taxes understand a little about what is going on. I have had some really easy and some challenging returns, I have learned so much. I am excited to learn more. I am hoping that I can take some more tax classes, learn more and continue to do taxes in the future. It has proven to be the perfect supplemental income and it can be done from home.... and it will always be a needed service. So Finally, I feel grateful that I was directed to be an accounting major. I know its sick, but I love taxes!

And... If you are wondering what I have spent my tax money on ... I stuffed some in my piggy bank seriously, its in a pink piggy bank and ... We are going to the Big Island next week for a much need vacation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we're satisfied customers! her system really does work, try it for yourself.